Anonymous said: why do black people use you in the wrong context? such is "you ugly" instead of "you're ugly" I know u guys can differentiate, it's a nuisance
you a bitch
It’s called copula deletion, or zero copula. Many languages and dialects, including Ancient Greek and Russian, delete the copula (the verb to be) when the context is obvious.
So an utterance like “you a bitch” in AAVE is not an example of a misused you, but an example of a sentence that deletes the copular verb (are), which is a perfectly valid thing to do in that dialect, just as deleting an /r/ after a vowel is a perfectly valid thing to do in an upper-class British dialect.
What’s more, it’s been shown that copula deletion occurs in AAVE exactly in those contexts where copula contraction occurs in so-called “Standard American English.” That is, the basic sentence “You are great” can become “You’re great” in SAE and “You great” in AAVE, but “I know who you are” cannot become “I know who you’re” in SAE, and according to reports, neither can you get “I know who you” in AAVE.
In other words, AAVE is a set of grammatical rules just as complex and systematic as SAE, and the widespread belief that it is not is nothing more than yet another manifestation of deeply internalized racism.
12:52 pm • 2 September 2014 • 61,106 notes
“I just thought you’d be the person you were in my inbox.”
— Failed expectations. (via persistentgrowth)
7:18 am • 2 September 2014 • 5 notes
I wouldn’t mind a collab. I just want her back in the studio
Drake lookin like a groupie in the first gif, then applying tender thirst in the second…
Drake makes me so happy. He loves what he does, is good at it and appreciates talent and ability in other artists. I’m so proud of him 😁😁
(Source: wordonrd, via caliphorniaqueen)
6:44 pm • 1 September 2014 • 4,904 notes
White People Just Don't Get It
Indeed, a 2011 study by scholars at Harvard and Tufts found that whites, on average, believed that anti-white racism was a bigger problem than anti-black racism.
Yes, you read that right!
So let me push back at what I see as smug white delusion. Here are a few reasons race relations deserve more attention, not less:
• The net worth of the average black household in the United States is $6,314, compared with $110,500 for the average white household, according to 2011 census data. The gap has worsened in the last decade, and the United States now has a greater wealth gap by race than South Africa did during apartheid. (Whites in America on average own almost 18 times as much as blacks; in South Africa in 1970, the ratio was about 15 times.)
• The black-white income gap is roughly 40 percent greater today than it was in 1967.
• A black boy born today in the United States has a life expectancy five years shorter than that of a white boy.
• Black students are significantly less likely to attend schools offering advanced math and science courses than white students. They are three times as likely to be suspended and expelled, setting them up for educational failure.
• Because of the catastrophic experiment in mass incarceration, black men in their 20s without a high school diploma are more likely to be incarcerated today than employed, according to a study from the National Bureau of Economic Research. Nearly 70 percent of middle-aged black men who never graduated from high school have been imprisoned.
6:43 pm • 1 September 2014 • 1,328 notes
Chappelle's Show -The 50 Million Dollar Question from Mischief Makers Productions on Vimeo.
Chappelle’s Show: The 50 Million Dollar Question
This is an excellent independent/low-budget documentary chronicling Dave Chappelle’s start as a comedian, actor, and the drama surrounding Chappelle’s Show.
The entire film is comprised solely of snippets of Dave Chappelle interviews so you get the entire story through his words. Since his career is so intertwined with writing partner Neil Brennan, Neil’s interviews and backstory are included as well.
It’s long as fuck (2 hours) but I think its pretty comprehensive to get the entire story.
Worth a watch if you’re bored
4:30 pm • 1 September 2014 • 547 notes
Happy flippin birfday to my best friend @dj_thuglove!!!!! This weekend, the turn up overtook us. Thank God we have the rest of our lives to run this town together! Love you Baby Ear! #bestfriends #birthdaybaddie #virgosandleos #ilovethischick #wehavetoomuchfun #spiritualsisters #momanddadareinthistoo #gous
9:26 am • 1 September 2014 • 2 notes
"Your loves got me looking so crazy right now"
Crazy In Love cover by Sofia Karlberg
6:24 pm • 31 August 2014 • 3,386 notes
me at school vs me at home tbh
I feel this in my soul
This is my life on so many levels.
Don’t underestimate the power of women
can’t be sleep, always gotta be woke
4:30 pm • 31 August 2014 • 18,362 notes
Montell Jordan | Get It On Tonight
(throwback. I know this song doesn’t match my theme..but i don’t kurr..=])
2:17 pm • 31 August 2014 • 458 notes